Hapax Legomenon

The Art of the Singular

Monday, May 03, 2004

The Great Wray Scarecrow Festival

This past weekend, my family and I went to the scarecrow festival in Wray...pretty interesting. It's a small English town (which had a faintly "hobbitty" feel to it), that had a pretty violent flood in 1967. The small stream that runs through the middle of the town rose 20 feet in 20 minutes and wiped out a good chunk of the town nearby. Since then, every year on the anniversary of the flood, the town has a festival to commemorate. I'm not sure where the scarecrows come from, but each house (or, at least, most of the houses) build and display their own scarecrows. Some are weird, such as the numerous "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here!" and David Blaine, Master Magician scarecrows, and some are nostalgic, such as the Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland scarecrows, but by far, the best are the truly inventive ones...the two that I will always remember are the Bender (from Futurama) and the Chicken Run scarecrows.

A good time was had by all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home