Hapax Legomenon

The Art of the Singular

Thursday, October 20, 2005

New Word?

I was going to post about a new word that I would like to see added to the English language, but it appears that the word already exists, but doesn't mean what I would have it mean.

The word I would like to have coined is "withe." Before I say what I would have it mean, let me give you the correct definition.

withe (wth, wth, wth)
n.
A tough supple twig, especially of willow, used for binding things together; a withy.
Now, this has absolutely nothing to do with what I would have the word mean, but that's neither here nor there. After all, plenty of words have multiple meanings.

Anyway, now let me tell you about my new word. Get ready for disappointment, since it's not really worth much of a mention, but, then again, isn't that what blogs are for...to mention the stuff that might not be worth mentioning elsewhere. Anyway, I'm getting a little sidetracked...where was I?

Ah, yes, withe...I would propose that this be a contraction of "with the." Every time I hand write something, which, granted, isn't all that often, and this word combination comes up, I find myself writing "withe" without even thinking of it. I would suggest that we create this word, if for no other reason than to make my life a little easier...

How does one go about coining a new word?

1 Comments:

Blogger Kingsley said...

One coins a new word withe patience! :-)

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home