Hapax Legomenon

The Art of the Singular

Thursday, February 02, 2006

My Thoughts on the Superbowl (like anyone cares)

Ok...here's the thing...the superbowl is coming up (for anyone outside America [yeah, I'm talkin' to you, Kingsley], this is the championship game of the American football league), and I must say, I could care less, which is a pretty big deal for me. You see, I'm a pretty big football fan...I love the game.

The problem is that I think that Pittsburgh is going to win, and I really (and I mean, REALLY) dislike Pittsburgh. Why, you might ask, do you dislike Pittsburgh so much? To this, I would respond, you don't seem to understand, I don't just dislike them, I actively hate them...and what's worse, I hate them for the absolute pettiest of reasons. This realization, of course, makes me feel even worse about having these feelings than I do in the first place (you see...I don't like the fact that I despise anything, let alone this much).

Why, you might ask, do you hate Pittsburgh with the blinding passion of 1000 suns? To this, I would respond, now you're getting the hang of it...

Then I would go on to tell you that I hate the Pittsburgh Steelers because an ex-girlfriend and her parents love them (don't tell me that I didn't warn you that it was for the pettiest of reasons). This particular girlfriend broke my heart after dating for a few years, during which (I can see now with perfectly clear 20/20 vision) she was a horrible person. The fact that a Pittsburgh win would make her and her family happy just upsets my cosmic balance. For this, which I will easily admit is a paltry and weak excuse, I will root against the Pittsburgh Steelers, and quite possibly get very drunk* on good wine if they win.

*actually, this is not true...I don't think drinking would make it better...but good wine is good wine, so I will probably find myself enjoying a libation even if I can't enjoy the game or it's outcome.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kingsley said...

You're right on two things, as I see it: one, we non-Americans find it hard to grasp the passion behind the superbowl (let alone the rules), and; two, good wine is indeed good wine...and a few glassfuls never hurt anyone's self, and can even satisfy one's sense of loss, even when it is for the pettiest reasons! ;-)

Ahh..I went to a wine-tasting night just before Xmas - Italian wine. Last week was the Scottish 'Burns Night': next month Furness are doing an Australian wine-tasting evening: missing your humourous presence P: my darts are gathering dust...

Where art thou in Blogger Land?

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home