Hapax Legomenon

The Art of the Singular

Monday, April 06, 2009

Time Warp

This morning, I was on a flight...the kind of flight that leaves before the sun rises and lands sometime after. This is the kind of flight that has been my life for nearly two years now...the kind of flight that I usually sleep through...the kind of flight that is like every other flight. A couple pretty girls, a couple loud guys, a couple older couples, a couple clueless travelers...

Except for one thing. As I was getting up to leave, I looked ahead of me. About 10 rows up, there was a little boy. He couldn't have been more than 8 or 9 years old. And he was wearing an honest to goodness coonskin cap. It had the tail and everything.

In that instant of recognition, I had the distinct feeling of being in a time warp. As if someone had taken a drop of 1950's Americana and had placed it on the film of my life. The drop wasn't big enough to destroy the film, but it was big enough to burn a hole in that frame. In that hole, a pin was placed that highlights that memory. That's not to say that I'll never forget that kid and his anachronistic hat, but it means that the flight was different, and that's something I've been searching for. For that, I thank that kid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home