Hapax Legomenon

The Art of the Singular

Monday, August 16, 2004

Pure Unadulturated Plagiarism

I've recently received an email from a friend of mine, who is now living and working in Zambia. I'm quoting directly from his email, because it's pretty funny. I'm absolutely certain he would want this anecdote shared with the world. A little background...he recently went back to America for some job related training, and flew with Air France through Paris. He is a Canadian, is married to an American, and loves poking fun at all things American...especially the overblown myth of French hatred. Anyway, here's the pertinent part of the email...

"On the Air France flight, they are taking drink orders with breakfast, and I ask for more water. The stewardess looks confused. I'm on the window, so I'm talking over two other people. I raise my voice a little, but not too loud as I don't want to sound American. Again 'May I have some water?'

She can't hear me. Or she can't understand. Shit. I start to panic. I may have use some French. I may have to say 'l'eau' here. Except I can't remember if it is l'eau or de l'leau. And then what accent do I use? Do I use the flat American one and sound like a cad, or should I put on what I think is a French one and sound like a cad? Again, I try in English: 'May I have some water?'

'Monseuir?' Again the quizical look.

Damn this woman is stupid. Sexy as hell, but stupid. If you are a stewardess, you know how to say 'water' in English. She is messing with my mind. I'm close to panic now. In a flash of brilliance I pick up the other sealed cup of mineral water on my breakfast tray and tap it. 'Water. Please.'

'I'm sorry?'

TABERNAC! I HATE THE FRENCH! She was forcing me to say it in her language, I knew it. I had no choice. I was dying of thirst. Gesticlating wildly with the stupid cup, I belt out in a Texas accent 'l'eau seevooplay.' Loud enough for a radius of 5 aisles to hear. My hand waving the cup in the air above the seat line so everyone behind me can see.

'But Sir,' she says, just as loud so everyone hears, 'that is yogurt.' I looked at what was in my hand. Low fat Peach.

I really wanted to hate her, but she was so nice. Have you ever heard 'yogurt' in a French accent? I still have dreams about it, dude."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home