Hapax Legomenon

The Art of the Singular

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

More Thoughts

This may seem like an interesting place and time to be talk about this, but I'm really interested in finding out what I'm doing with my life...not in some kind of existential or moribund sense...I don't feel any sadness about my lot, I'm not having any suicidal thoughts, I'm not struggling with the vagaries of life.

Simply put, I'm wondering what my professional life holds for me. I've described how excited I was (and am) about the Chinese venture, but something odd occurred to me...It's been a long time since I was that excited about a professional venture...by comparison my current post is positively boring. I don't want to simply sleepwalk through the motions of my current job, but how do I go about getting excited about a job that pales in comparison to other opportunities, and is also temporary? Not sure there's an answer to be had, but I'd sure be interested if there was some way of approaching this issue that I haven't thought about...

2 Comments:

Blogger Kingsley said...

Everything is about 'flow': the sense that personal achievement and satisfaction comes from the ongoing completion of stages. As such, stages overlap, as do sociocultural cycles. When one stage is coming to an end we see it becoming overlapped by the next - yet the present stage must be completed before moving on: it is this incompletion which denies us satisfaction. It is the completion that allows us a sense of 'flow'. It is very easy to become stuck ('in the groove' as we say) and thus deny ourselves a much-needed ongoing flow...

11:54 AM  
Blogger Patrick said...

Kingsley,

I couldn't agree more. I think that I'm just feeling a little bit of wanderlust, and trying to find challenges in a very comfortable position isn't easy.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home